Spot the Word, Second Edition (STW 2) allows you to assess premorbid verbal abilities, using a robust lexical decision task.
The test involves presenting an individual with pairs of items comprising one word and one non-word, for example, ‘flonty – xylophone’, the individual is required to point to the real word in the pair.
This format allows lexical decisions to be made through multiple methods including; meaning, familiarity, appearance and sound of words.
It is brief and easy to administer, and is particularly useful for clinical psychologists, neurologists and geriatricians.
Features and Benefits
STW 2 excels in the way it:
- does not require individuals to make a verbal response
- requires familiarity, but not necessarily the capacity to pronounce correctly, so is resistant to the effects of stress or brain damage
- has been standardised on approximately 250 UK adults between the ages of 16 and 90
- has been normed alongside the new WAIS-IVUK, TOPF UK and TFLSUK
- is sensitive to the effects of closed head injury, normal ageing, Alzheimer’s disease Schizophrenia, and to a wide range of drugs and stressors.