Press Release: Winner of the 2016 COT Pearson Award for education, research or continuing professional development announced
Keir Harding, a member of the College of Occupational Therapists (COT), has been named as the winner of the 2016 COT Pearson Award for education, research or continuing professional development. The award funded Keir’s attendance at the British and Irish Group for Study of Personality Disorders annual conference (BIGSPD); at which Keir chaired a symposium on ‘From Scratch: Setting up and delivering a Day Therapeutic Community’
Download a pdf version of this press release
Keir Harding qualified as an Occupational Therapist in 1999 and has always worked in mental health. Over the past years he has specialised in the field of personality disorder, winning an NHS Wales Award in 2012. For the past 4 years Keir has worked in Cynnwys (together), the personality disorder service in Cardiff, where he has championed service user involvement and therapies that ‘do with’ rather than ‘do to’ people. As part of his role he set up Ymlaen (forward), a day therapeutic community which works radically differently to traditional mental health services. Keir is currently completing his MSc in Personality disorder.
The Award, now in its fourth year, was developed as a joint initiative between the College of Occupational Therapists and Pearson Assessment. The Award aims to provide support for an individual professional or student BAOT member towards an activity that forms part of their education, research or continuing professional development.
Keir Harding said on hearing the outcome:
“Receiving the Pearson award was a fantastic occasion for me. 5 of us had applied to present at the BIGSPD annual conference on the Isle of Man. We were so proud when our abstract was accepted but as time drew on it became apparent that there was no money for any of us to go. Desperate to find any way to make our presentation happen I found the Pearson award on the COT website and spent an hour filling the form in. To find out that I’d be receiving the award that our presentation would go ahead … was a massive relief.”
“I went to BIGSPD to talk about the evidence base for this type of intervention, how we managedto get it set up, what the staff do in the service and our results so far. For me, this way of workingis one of the purest examples of people healing through doing in healthcare and I’d love more OTs to get involved.”
Dr Patricia McClure, Chair of the Awards Panel and Chair of BAOT/COT Council said of the 2016 award:
“We are very grateful to Pearson Assessment for providing COT members with an invaluable opportunity to enhance their professional development. The COT Awards Panel were delighted to be able to recommend the 2016 Pearson Award to Keir Harding to support his attendance atthe British and Irish Group for the Study of Personality Disorders (BIGSPD) annual conferencewhere he chaired a symposium ‘From Scratch: Setting up and delivering a Day Therapeutic Community’."
Shelley Hughes, Sr. Product Manager: Occupational Therapy, for Pearson Clinical Assessment, congratulated Keir on his award:
“The COT Pearson Award for CPD is part of our commitment to supporting professionals throughout their career. It enables us to recognise the outstanding work and commitment to professional development that members demonstrate. We are delighted to congratulate Keir on the outcome of his application which has enabled him to attend the British and Irish Group for Study of Personality Disorders annual conference and chair a symposium."
Pearson Clinical Assessment is the leading publisher of assessments, interventions and CPD resources for professionals working in health, psychology and educational settings. Their wide portfolio covers a range of bestselling tools in areas including: motor, visuo-perceptual, sensory and functional skills and wellbeing. These include the new Sensory Profile™ 2, Movement Assessment Battery for Children - Second Edition (Movement ABC-2), and Cognitive Assessment Training – Online (CAT-Online).
For further Information
+44 (0) 20 010 2880
- Pearson is the world's leading learning company, with 40,000 employees in more than 70 countries working to help people of all ages to make measurable progress in their livesthrough learning.
- Pearson is the world’s largest commercial developer and distributor of educational assessments and psychological testing materials with over 90 years history of commitment to researching and developing products to a reliable high standard.
- Pearson is dedicated to the pursuit of professional excellence, leadership, and growth through acquisition, development, publication, and the maintenance of quality assessment tools in order to anticipate and meet the needs of its customers.
- For more information, visit www.pearsonclinical.co.uk or follow @PsychCorpUK
- The COT Pearson Award for education, research or continuing professional development was originally launched in 2011
About the College of Occupational Therapists
- The College of Occupational Therapists is the only professional body for occupational therapists in the UK and the voice for the occupational therapy profession.
- We promote the value of occupational therapy as a means of improving the health and wellbeing of UK citizens and strive for excellence in occupational therapy education, in professional development, in research and in practice.
- The College has over 31,000 members including researchers, practitioners, students and overseas members. Practitioners work in a range of settings including hospitals, health centres, schools, residential and nursing care, children’s’ centres, prisons, workplaces, voluntary organizations and independent practice.
Date posted: May 11, 2016