BASC-3 BESS Now Available >
Assessing the behavioural and emotional functioning of children and adolescents can be an effective tool in promoting student success.
Academic problems, along with problems associated with developing and maintaining positive relationships with others, can be the result of underlying behavioural and emotional deficits that, when caught early, can be corrected before negatively affecting a child or adolescent.
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System offers a reliable, quick and systematic way to determine behavioural and emotional strengths and weaknesses of children and adolescents in preschool through high school.
This comprehensive screening system consists of brief forms that can be completed by teachers, parents or students, providing one of the most comprehensive and efficient tools available today.
Using this tool
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System is designed for use by schools, mental health clinics, pediatric clinics, communities and researchers to screen for a variety of behavioural and emotional disorders that can lead to adjustment problems.
The system includes three forms, which can be used individually or in any combination:
- Teacher form with two levels: Preschool (for ages 3 to 5 years) and Child/Adolescent (for ages 5 to 17 years)
- Student self-report form with one level: Child/Adolescent (for ages 8 to 17 years)
- Parent form with two levels: Preschool (for ages 3 to 5 years) and Child/Adolescent (for ages 5 to 17 years)
Each form ranges from 25 to 30 items, requires no formal training for the raters, and is easy to complete, taking only 5-10 minutes of administration time. Parents or students who have difficulty reading may complete the forms by listening to audio recordings on compact disc.
Features and benefits
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System offers a number of valuable features, including:
- Assessment of a wide array of behaviours that represent both behavioural problems and strengths, including internalising problems, externalising problems, school problems and adaptive skills.
- Forms that can be completed in approximately five minutes or less, without the need for specialised training.
- A single Total Score on the report that is a reliable and accurate predictor of a broad range of behavioural, emotional and academic problems
- Validity indexes that identify responses that may be overly negative or inconsistent.
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System may be computer-scored (hand-key entry or scan entry) using ASSIST™ software or hand-scored, enabling use in a variety of settings.
- Powerful software provides both individual- and group-level reporting options.
- Scoring services are available to generate group-level, aggregate reports that may be helpful for tracking progress over several years’ time.
- Cut scores are customisable based on a desired T score or number of children in a specific outcome category.
The BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System has been normed on a representative sample that closely matches recent U.S. Census population characteristics. T scores and percentiles are available for the general population.
BASC-2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System ASSIST™ Software
The BASC–2 Behavioral and Emotional Screening System ASSIST software provides a number of different options for presenting results from the Teacher, Parent and Student Forms.
Reports are offered for individuals and groups. For an Individual report, up to three forms (eg, teacher, parent and student) and three administrations can be selected for inclusion. With Group reports, an important feature of the ASSIST software is its ability to define multiple groups within a location and generate summary reports for each of the levels within a group (e.g. classroom, district, region).
In addition, a roster listing students and their scores can be generated for any of the group variables that have been defined. Available for Windows and Macintosh.