Susan Gathercole is a cognitive psychologist who has been engaged in research on human memory over the past 25 years. Current projects focus on:
- the theoretical structure of working (or short-term) memory and its changes during development
- the role played by working memory in learning and its disorders, particularly during the school years
- impairments of working memory in developmental disorders including specific learning difficulties, Specific Language Impairment, and ADHD
- design of educational interventions that will enable children with memory impairments to overcome the associated learning difficulties
- the development of theoretically-sound methods of assessing memory and related cognitive functions in children.