Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition: ADOS-2 - Frequently Asked Questions
About the ADOS-2 Workshops
Booking an event | Before the event | Cancelling or amending your booking |After the event |Attending from overseas
I only require selected ADOS-2 modules. Can I purchase the modules separately?
The ADOS-2 includes five modules. Modules cannot be purchased separately. Practitioners must be trained on each module fully and be able to utilise all materials fully. This is because practitioners often have to be able to switch and be flexible between module administrations as needed by the requirements of the client being assessed.
How does the ADOS-2 compare to the ADOS?
The ADOS-2 offers revised algorithms and a new Comparison Score for Modules 1 through 3, a new Toddler Module, and updated protocols with clearer administration and coding guidelines for all modules. Click for complete information on the ADOS-2.
I own and I'm already trained in the ADOS. What do I need to do to upgrade to the ADOS-2?
Upgrading to the ADOS-2 is easy. If you already own an ADOS kit, you can purchase an ADOS-2 Upgrade Package (9780749164065 or 9780749164058). The materials in this package can be combined with the materials in your ADOS kit to make an ADOS-2 kit. Click for full ADOS-2 product information.
I am new to the ADOS-2. What do I need to get started?
First, you'll need to purchase an ADOS-2 kit. Visit the ADOS-2 page for full product information.
Next, you'll need to obtain training in order to become competent in using the ADOS-2. See the FAQ "What is required for someone to become competent in using the ADOS-2?" for more information."
What is required for someone to become competent in using the ADOS-2?
If you are an ADOS-2 user who has not previously been trained in the ADOS, you should do the following to obtain essential competence in the ADOS-2:
- Make sure you have prior education, training, and experience that includes extensive exposure to autism spectrum disorders.
- Study the ADOS-2 Manual.
- Take a Pearson in-person clinical training workshop or use the ADOS-2 DVD Training Kit (9780749164072). Both options offer training in all five ADOS-2 modules.
- Practice using the ADOS-2 on cases that are not part of formal evaluations, and become completely confident that you are familiar with the assessment activities and can apply the coding categories accurately. If you have considerable experience in formal behavioural observation and individual test administration, you may reach this level in as few as 10 practice sessions (2 per module). Otherwise, you may need considerably more practice to obtain competence in administering and coding the ADOS-2.
- If you are involved in formal research that may be published in peer-reviewed journals, you must also take a research training workshop, which is followed by exercises to establish item coding accuracy to a specific criterion. NB Pearson is not involved in research training workshops. Click for information on training opportunities.
If you are an ADOS-2 user who is already trained in the ADOS, you should do the following to obtain essential competence in the ADOS-2
- Study the ADOS-2 Manual.
- Use the Pearson DVD Training Upgrade Kit (9780749164089) to obtain additional training focused on the new Toddler Module.
- Practice using the ADOS-2 on cases that are not part of formal evaluations and become completely familiar with the ADOS-2, including the updated administration, coding, and scoring guidelines and the new Toddler Module.
- If you are involved in formal research that may be published in peer-reviewed journals, you must also take a research training workshop, which is followed by exercises to establish item coding accuracy to a specific criterion. NB Pearson is not involved in research training workshops. Click for training opportunities.
How does the 2 day workshop differ from the 5 day reliability training?
The 2 day clinical workshop includes training on all ADOS-2 modules and a level of pre and post course work which involves: viewing DVDs for all modules; understanding the coding notes provided for these recorded case studies; and additional post course work on the toddler module which is not covered in the 2 days. All pre and post course DVDs and scoring notes are provided. Less time is spent on coding accuracy and establishing reliability for coding, with emphasis on administration and understanding the nuances of the assessment.
Is the ADOS software MAC compatible?
The ADOS software only runs on all Windows operating systems at this time.
Booking an event
Can I provisionally reserve a place on an event?
No. Unfortunately, we can only accept firm bookings for our events.
Before the event
When should I book my travel?
All events are subject to cancellation up until 14 days before the organised date. Therefore, we suggest you should not arrange any non-refundable travel before this date. NB Pearson are not obliged to refund any travel costs for any of our events.
I have dietary requirements – will these be met?
Dietary requirements will be met wherever possible but are subject to availability at venues. Please let us know at the time of booking and at least 14 days before the event date, if you have any special dietary requirements - these can be submitted via the booking form.
I'm attending the course from overseas, is the training suitable for me?
These workshops are designed for both clinicians and researchers. For clinicians with a prior background in autism and formal testing with a professional qualification that includes a diagnostic remit, e.g. (in the UK) a practitioner psychologist (clinical, educational, forensic), paediatrician, child or adult psychiatrist or forensic psychiatrist this 2-day workshop is sufficient to support use of the ADOS-2 to inform the diagnosis of autism and autism spectrum disorders*.
Physicians, psychologists, occupational therapists, and speech-language pathologists will be better prepared to make educational placement decisions and evaluate programs after completing the workshop.
Individuals with less background in testing but who provide service for individuals and families affected by autism may take the workshop for informational purposes. For researchers, this workshop is prerequisite to more thorough training offered by the ADOS-2 authors and designed to achieve the high cross-site inter-rater reliability required in published research.
*A central principle of professional test use is that individuals should use only those tests for which they have the appropriate training and expertise. For overseas clinicians attending the workshop who are looking to use ADOS-2 to inform the diagnosis of autism and autism spectrum disorders, please ensure the workshop meets any local and/or national requirements/guidelines in your country.
Cancelling or amending your booking
What is your cancellation policy?
You may cancel within 10 working days from the date of your booking, unless the event falls within the same period. However, no refund will be made if you make a cancellation within 10 working days of the date of the training. Please make sure you notify us via email or using this online form.
Your request must include the contact details you provided as part of the purchase process. For full details of our cancellation policy, please read our terms and conditions.
How will you let me know if my event has been cancelled?
All our courses are subject to cancellation or amendment until 14 days before the scheduled date, but we'll give you adequate notice of any changes. These will come via email, but if any changes are made within five working days of your course starting, due to exceptional circumstances, we may contact you by phone also.
My event has been cancelled. Will it be rescheduled?
Wherever possible, Training from Pearson UK will look to reschedule an event that has been cancelled. The exception to this is where events are cancelled due to low delegate numbers.
I purchased train tickets, but the event was cancelled. Will I be reimbursed?
We're currently unable to meet any travel expenses or teacher release fees associated with our events. Please note that all events are subject to cancellation up until 14 days before the organised date. Therefore, we advise not arranging any non-refundable travel until you have received your joining instructions at least ten working days before the event.
After the event
Can I provide feedback on the event?
Your feedback is vital to improving our courses and making sure they’re helpful to your professional development. After the event, we’ll email you with an event feedback form that you can complete.