The Conners Comprehensive Behavior Rating Scales™ (Conners CBRS™) is an instrument designed to provide a complete overview of child and adolescent disorders and concerns.
Those working in the field of child and youth psychology can use the Conners CBRS to assess a wide spectrum of behaviours, emotions, and academic problems in today’s youth.
The Conners CBRS includes the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: Fourth Edition (DSM-IV-TR™) symptom scales, empirical and rational scales, as well as other clinical indicators and critical and impairment items.
The age range suitable for this assessment is 6 to 18 years for parent and teacher forms and 8 to 18 years for self-report forms.
Conners CBRS offers:
- Direct and clear links to the DSM-IV-TR and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act 2004 (IDEA 2004)
- Straightforward administration, scoring and reports
- Excellent reliability and validity
Conners CBRS is a comprehensive multi-informant tool that:
- Assists in the diagnostic process
- Identifies and qualifies students for inclusion or exclusion in special education/research studies
- Assists in the development of intervention treatment plans
- Monitors your patient’s response to intervention/treatment
- Evaluates the effectiveness of intervention/treatment plans
Key areas measured:
- Emotional distress: total, upsetting thoughts, worrying, social problems, upsetting thoughts/physical symptoms, separation fears, social anxiety
- Aggressive behaviours
- Academic Difficulties: total
- Academic Difficulties: language
- Academic Difficulties: maths
- Separation Fears
- Social Problems
- Perfectionistic and Compulsive Behaviours
How to use the assessment
The Conners Comprehensive Behavior Rating Scales include multiple components that are available in handscored or software format.
The Parent Rating Scales (Conners CBRS–P), the teacher rating scales (Conners CBRS–T) and the self-report rating scales (Conners CBRS–SR) are available in a comprehensive full-length version.
Conners Comprehensive Behavior Rating Scales also includes an auxiliary scale: the Conners Comprehensive Behavior Rating Scales Clinical Index. Feedback Forms, Assessment Reports and Progress Reports are also available to help gather and record information and facilitate discussion. All of these components are described in more detail below.
Conners CBRS Parent Rating Scales
Conners CBRS parent forms assess behaviours, concerns and academic problems in children between the ages of 6 and 18 years and are reported by parents. The form is available in one comprehensive length (Conners CBRS–P) and is recommended for initial evaluations if time allows. When used in conjunction with teacher ratings, differences between home and school are highlighted.
Conners CBRS Teacher Rating Scales
Conners CBRS teacher forms assess behaviors, concerns and academic problems in children between 6 and 18 years old and are reported by teachers. This version provides comprehensive results, and is recommended for initial evaluations if time allows (Conners CBRS–T). When used with the parent scale differences between home and school are highlighted.
Conners CBRS Self-Report Rating Scales
Conners 3rd Edition self-report forms measures behaviors, concerns, and academic problems in children 8 and 18 years old. This version provides more comprehensive results, and is recommended for initial evaluations.
Conners CBRS Clinical Index
The Conners CBRS offers a 25-item Conners CBRS Clinical Index which is available for parents, teachers and youth. The brief index works well when screening a large group of children and adolescents to see if further assessment of a number of disorders such as social phobia, Asperger’s disorder and manic episode is warranted.
The Clinical Index is a useful tool which can help build support for whether a child is likely to have a clinical diagnosis, or is more similar to youth who do not have a clinical diagnosis. Additionally, this form can be used to monitor the effectiveness of treatment plans, and measure the patient’s response to intervention.
This index is included in the Conners CBRS, but can also be purchased separately.
Important software update for people who have already bought Conners CBRS:
Since the initial release of the Conners CBRS and Conners 3, it has come to our attention that a minor inconsistency is present in the narrative of the CBRS software report output.
This inconsistency does not affect the calculation, quality or integrity of your Conners CBRS report results. The update feature described above can be used to correct this now.
Please follow the steps outlined below:
- Connect to the internet.
- Plug your Conners Scoring Software USB key into your computer.
- Launch Conners Scoring Software.
- From the Help menu, select Check for Updates. Your internet browser launches and opens our secure MHS upgrade site where you will be informed that an update is available.
- Click Download Update, then follow the procedures provided there to install the patch.
...more information about software update
NB You must purchase the scoring software to score the Conners CBRS - it cannot be scored manually.
Need more information? Try the Pearson Information Assistant.
The Pearson Information Assistant (PIA) provides detailed information, including videos, online presentations, FAQs and webinars on some of our key products.
Visit the Pearson Information Assistant >