The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children®– Fifth UK Edition (WISC®–VUK) is the latest version of the most proven and trusted cognitive ability measure ever. WISC®–VUK has been redesigned to give you a truly comprehensive picture of a child's abilities and it includes notable improvements to make identifying the issues—and finding the solutions—faster and easier, without sacrificing the Wechsler gold standard of excellence.
Choose from two administration options:
Paper format (Paper Manuals and Record Forms)
Digital format (under our Q-interactive® Standard Licence)
Psychologists working in schools, clinics, hospitals, universities and forensics can use the WISC–VUK for diverse applications such as:
- identifying learning difficulties
- identifying and diagnosing learning disabilities/disorders
- evaluating of cognitive processing strengths and weaknesses
- assessing for giftedness
- assessing the impact of brain injuries.
Content & Administration
The WISC®–VUK gives you flexibility and interpretive power, along with access to more subtests, so you get a broader view of a child's cognitive abilities. An expanded factor structure provides new and separate visual spatial and fluid reasoning composites for all ages.
Expanded and Updated Factor Structure
The test structure includes new and separate visual spatial and fluid reasoning composites for greater interpretive clarity and a variety of levels of composites for interpretive options.
New Primary Subtests
Three new primary subtests extend the content coverage of the WISC®–VUK and increase its practical application.
- Visual Puzzles is a new Visual Spatial subtest that measures the ability to analyse and synthesise information
- Figure Weights is a new Fluid Reasoning subtest that measures quantitative reasoning and induction
- Picture Span is a new Working Memory subtest that measures visual working memory
Features & Benefits
More efficient and user-friendly
- The WISC–VUK increases construct coverage without increasing testing time. So, you get a more efficient, developmentally appropriate measure – and still have time to assess other domains of interest
- Efficiently produce all primary index scores
- Significantly reduced testing time to obtain the FSIQ
- Simplified instructions with reduced vocabulary level, shorter discontinue rules, and refined scoring criteria
- Five primary index scores, the FSIQ as well as three of the five ancillary index scores can be obtained through the ten primary subtests
More interpretive power
- WISC–VUK provides statistical links to the WIAT-III, to support more flexible evaluation of specific learning disabilities and two major approaches to specific learning disability identification: pattern of strengths and weaknesses analyses and ability-achievement discrepancy analyses
- Expanded score analysis approach highlights index- and subtest-level strength and weaknesses analyses
- Separate visual spatial and fluid reasoning composite scores results in greater interpretive clarity
- Selection of process scores has been greatly expanded to enhance the depth of interpretation and understanding of performance
Updated psychometric properties
- Updated normative sample standardised on UK children aged 6:0–16:11
- Normative sample stratified to match current UK census data based on gender, ethnicity, parent education level, and geographic region for each age group
- Strong subtest floors and ceilings facilitate accurate measurement at the extremes of cognitive ability
- Comparable or improved reliability for subtest and composite scores
- Updated special group studies
- Updated validity studies with other measures including WISC–IV, WPPSI–IV, WAIS–IV, WIAT–III, KTEA-3, Vineland-II, and BASC-2
- Expanded validity evidence for the Q-interactive version, including construct validity studies and equivalence of Q-interactive and paper/pencil formats, and special group studies to examine patterns of performance of children from frequently-tested populations
WISC®–V UK and WIAT®–III UK - Working together for a fuller picture
A linking sample comprising the WIAT®-III UK and WISC®-V UK has been collected, allowing you to conduct an Ability-Achievement Discrepancy Analysis with full confidence in the results. Find out more about the WIAT-III UK.
Now available, the traditional paper-and-pencil format, WISC®-VUK Complete Kit includes: Administration and Scoring Manual, Technical and Interpretive Manual, Stimulus Books 1 - 2, 25 x Record Forms, 25 x Response Booklets 1, 25 x Response Booklets 2, Coding Scoring Template, Symbol Search Scoring Key, Cancellation Scoring Template and a Wechsler Standard Block Design Set. Hand scoring and new web-based scoring on Q-global will help to cut down on the time you spend on result's creation.
New Digital Options for WISC®–VUK
The WISC®–VUK offers two efficient and easy-to-use, digital options for test administration, scoring and reporting.
Option 1: Q-interactive – Our iPad device-based system for administration, scoring and reporting
Q-interactive delivers the world’s most advanced assessment tools you can take with you anywhere. It enables you to administer interactive assessments with an intuitive, portable system that uses two iPads connected to each other via Bluetooth. The WISC®–VUK on Q-interactive is available when you purchase a Standard Q-interactive Licence*.
Learn more about Q-interactive
Request a Q-interactive Demo
*Please note: Registered users with a qualification code of CL1 are eligible to purchase assessments from the Standard Q-interactive Licence. You can view the list of available assessments and place your order on our Q-interactive page.
To use WISC®–VUK on Q-interactive you will also need to order an additional item - Wechsler Standard Block Design Set (9780749170424, £80.50 + VAT (£96.60 inc VAT) - these will need to be purchased directly from Pearson Clinical Customer Service firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 0345 630 8888.
Video: An introduction to WISC®–VUK on Q-interactive
Option 2: Q-global – Our web-based system for scoring and reporting paper administrations
Q-global is our secure and affordable web-based scoring and reporting system that allows you to enter results from paper-and-pencil tests to generate scores and reports. It houses the industry’s gold standard assessment tools and is accessible from any computer connected to the Internet.
Learn more about Q-global
WISC-V UK Reports available on Q-global:
- Automatically converts total raw scores to subtest scaled scores
- Automatically converts sums of scaled scores to composites scores, including the FSIQ and numerous index scores
- Performs score comparisons at the index and subtest levels
- Generates score reports with tables and graphs.
In addition to the full scoring information available in the WISC–V UK Score Report, the WISC–V UK Interpretive Report includes narrative interpretation of scores, including:
- Narrative summary of the child’s background, history, and test behaviors
- Interpretation of the Full Scale IQ and all primary, ancillary and complementary index scores
- Integration of the reason for referral in test score interpretation
- Recommendations based on WISC–V UK performance
- Optional Parent Summary Report.