PPVT-4 is now available in digital format, under the new Educational Licence on Q-interactive.
Receptive and Expressive Comparison
The PPVT-4 offers many enhancements to a vocabulary assessment that has been well respected for 50 years. The PPVT-4 has been co-normed with the Expressive Vocabulary Test, Second Edition (EVT™-2), allowing you to make direct comparisons between receptive and expressive vocabulary performance. The PPVT-4 is individually administered and norm-referenced.
Administration is now available in two versions; traditional format (Paper Manuals and Record Forms) and digital on Q-interactive® (our test administration, scoring and reporting platform). Online scoring is also available via our Q-global® platform.
Read an interview with the author at www.speechpathology.com.
Ideal for Progress Monitoring
Unlike some other measures of vocabulary, the PPVT-4 supplies two equivalent forms of the test which contain different vocabulary items—helping ensure the individual has not “learned” the test. One form can be used prior to intervention to assess individuals’ vocabulary knowledge and the alternative form can be used for re-testing to evaluate and document progress. PPVT-4 also includes a unique Growth Scale Value (GSV) which is sensitive to small changes over time.
Uses & Applications
- Quickly evaluate receptive vocabulary with a test that requires no reading or writing
- Monitor progress using two parallel forms
- Directly compare receptive and expressive vocabulary when you also administer the EVT-2
- Move immediately into evidence-based interventions using those embedded directly into and linked into the scoring and reporting software
- Meet guidelines for universal screening, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and diagnostic testing in an RTI environment
- New Digital Stimulus Book – display visual stimuli on your desktop or laptop. Hotlinks and icons take you to the section of the test you want to administer.
- More stimulus words (now 228 per form), with better representation of word types across all levels of difficulty
- All items evaluated for appropriateness with a diverse population
- Strengthened test floor
- Illustrations now in full color - more up-to-date, realistic art used, offering an exceptional balance of sex and race/ethnicity
- Modernized core vocabulary
- Identical administration and scoring procedures to PPVT-III
- New Growth Scale Value (GSV) for measuring incremental vocabulary growth over time
- Multiple levels of diagnostic analysis
- Ease of use—with the ability to administer items by complete sets of 12
- Larger stimulus material (8.5 x 11 inches)
- New digital options: faster administration on Q-interactive and scoring via Q-global
Developed over a five-year period, the PPVT-4 test was standardized on a national sample of individuals ages 2:6–90+. More than 5,500 individuals were tested; data from approximately 3,500 subjects was used for the normative scores. The sample matches the U.S. Census for gender, ace/ethnicity, region, socioeconomic status (SES), and clinical diagnosis or special education placement. The PPVT-4 test provides extremely reliable scores, with all reliability and validity coefficients in the .90s range.
Scores and Interpretation
- Age-and grade-based standard scores
- Growth Scale Values (GSVs)
- Normal curve equivalents (NCEs)
- Age and grade equivalents
Clinical Validity Studies: ADHD, Emotional/Behavioural Disturbance, Giftedness, Hearing Impairment, Hearing Impairment With Cochlear Implant, Language Delay, Language Disorder, Learning Disability, and Speech Impairment
Digital Options now Available
Q-interactive® - Our iPad device-based system for administration, scoring and reporting
Q-interactive® is a revolutionary digital system that delivers the world’s most advanced assessment tools you can take with you anywhere. Administer interactive assessments with an intuitive, portable system that uses two iPads connected to each other via Bluetooth.
New Educational Licence now available on Q-interactive! Add the licence to your basket from the pricing table on this page and a consultant will be in touch to confirm your licence registration.
Learn more about Q-interactive
Q-global® - Our web-based system for scoring and reporting paper administrations
Q-global® is a secure web-based scoring and reporting system that allows you to input results from paper-and-pencil assessments to generate scores and reports and is accessible from any computer connected to the Internet.
Learn more about Q-global