The Western Aphasia Battery - Revised (WAB-R) is the updated version of the highly respected and widely used instrument for assessing adult patients with aphasia.
It is an individually administered assessment for adults with acquired neurological disorders (e.g. as a result of a stroke, head injury or dementia). Like the previous edition, WAB-R assesses the linguistic skills most frequently affected by aphasia, in addition to key nonlinguistic skills and provides differential diagnosis information.
New Features and Enhanced Utility
The WAB-R, a full battery of 8 subtests (32 short tasks), maintains the structure, overall content and clinical value of the current measure while creating these improvements:
- Two new supplementary tasks (reading and writing of irregular and non-words) will aid the clinician in distinguishing between surface, deep (phonological), and visual dyslexia
- Revision of approximately 15 items
- Bedside WAB-R provides a quick look at patient's functioning
- Examiner's manual with technical/psychometric properties information, test interpretation relevant to aphasic populations, historical evidence of reliability and validity and information about the unique aspects of assessing the language ability of individuals with dementia
- Revised administration directions - more user-friendly with directions to the examinee for all subtests
- Expanded scoring guidelines for clarity.