Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition: ADOS-2 - Frequently Asked Questions
The following FAQs provide an overview of the ADOS-2. Please send comments and suggestions for additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does the ADOS-2 compare to the ADOS?
The ADOS-2 offers revised algorithms and a new Comparison Score for Modules 1 through 3, a new Toddler Module, and updated protocols with clearer administration and coding guidelines for all modules. Click for complete information on the ADOS-2.
I already own and am trained in the ADOS. What do I need to do to upgrade to the ADOS-2?
Upgrading to the ADOS-2 is easy. If you already own an ADOS kit, you can purchase an ADOS-2 Upgrade Package (9780749164065 or 9780749164058). The materials in this package can be combined with the materials in your ADOS kit to make an ADOS-2 kit. Click for full ADOS-2 product information.
I am new to the ADOS-2. What do I need to get started?
First, you'll need to purchase an ADOS-2 kit. Visit the ADOS-2 page for full product information.
Next, you'll need to obtain training in order to become competent in using the ADOS-2. See the FAQ "What is required for someone to become competent in using the ADOS-2?" for more information."
What is required for someone to become competent in using the ADOS-2?
If you are an ADOS-2 user who has not previously been trained in the ADOS, you should do the following to obtain essential competence in the ADOS-2:
- Make sure you have prior education, training, and experience that includes extensive exposure to autism spectrum disorders.
- Study the ADOS-2 Manual.
- Take a Pearson in-person clinical training workshop or use the Pearson DVD Training Kit (9780749164072). Both options offer training in all five ADOS-2 modules.
- Practice using the ADOS-2 on cases that are not part of formal evaluations, and become completely confident that you are familiar with the assessment activities and can apply the coding categories accurately. If you have considerable experience in formal behavioural observation and individual test administration, you may reach this level in as few as 10 practice sessions (2 per module). Otherwise, you may need considerably more practice to obtain competence in administering and coding the ADOS-2.
- If you are involved in formal research that may be published in peer-reviewed journals, you must also take a research training workshop, which is followed by exercises to establish item coding accuracy to a specific criterion. NB Pearson is not involved in research training workshops. Click for information on training opportunities.
If you are an ADOS-2 user who is already trained in the ADOS, you should do the following to obtain essential competence in the ADOS-2
- Study the ADOS-2 Manual.
- Use the Pearson DVD Training Upgrade Kit (9780749164089) to obtain additional training focused on the new Toddler Module.
- Practice using the ADOS-2 on cases that are not part of formal evaluations and become completely familiar with the ADOS-2, including the updated administration, coding, and scoring guidelines and the new Toddler Module.
- If you are involved in formal research that may be published in peer-reviewed journals, you must also take a research training workshop, which is followed by exercises to establish item coding accuracy to a specific criterion. NB Pearson is not involved in research training workshops. Click for training opportunities.
How does the 2 day workshop differ from the 5 day reliability training?
The 2 day clinical workshop includes training on all ADOS-2 modules and a level of pre and post course work which involves: viewing DVDs for all modules; understanding the coding notes provided for these recorded case studies; and additional post course work on the toddler module which is not covered in the 2 days. All pre and post course DVDs and scoring notes are provided. Less time is spent on coding accuracy and establishing reliability for coding, with emphasis on administration and understanding the nuances of the assessment.
Is the ADOS software MAC compatible?
The ADOS software only runs on all Windows operating systems at this time.