See updates and improvements
The WPPSI–IVUK is an innovative measure of cognitive development for preschool and young children that is rooted in contemporary theory and research. This new edition places a strong emphasis on child-friendly, developmentally appropriate features, with extensive enhancements that are targeted to benefit both children and examiners.
Watch an introductory video:
- New working memory subtests
- New processing speed measures
- Expanded factor structure
- Improved developmental appropriateness
- More efficient test administration
- Improved clinical utility
- Updated and improved psychometric properties
Content & Administration
Based on the most current literature in the field and feedback from experts and clinicians, the WPPSI–IVUK includes extensive content changes including new processing speed measures, the addition of working memory subtests and an expanded factor structure that includes new and separate visual spatial and fluid reasoning composites for ages 4 years to 7 years 7 months.
New Working Memory subtests
Picture Memory and Zoo Locations, the two new working memory subtests provide age appropriate, engaging tasks for children as young as 2 years 6 months. These reliable and child-friendly measures were specifically designed to help detect emerging working memory difficulties for early intervention.
Expanded and Updated Factor Structure
For both age bands the test structure includes three levels of interpretation: Full scale, Primary Index scale and Ancillary Index scale levels.
The Primary Index scales include:
- Verbal Comprehension Index (VCI)
- Visual Spatial Index (VSI)
- Working Memory Index (WMI)
- Fluid Reasoning Index (FRI)
- Processing Speed Index (PSI)
- The Ancillary Index scales include:
- Vocabulary Acquisition Index (VAI)
- Nonverbal Index (NVI)
- General Ability Index (CAI)
- Cognitive Proficiency Index (CPI)
View the test framework for each age band.
Features & Benefits
Improved Developmental Appropriateness
With consideration of the unique challenges of assessing young children, the WPPSI–IVUK was redesigned; ensuring all aspects of the WPPSI–IVUK are developmentally appropriate.
New Processing Speed Subtests
The three new game-like subtests offer engaging art and use an ink dabber to indicate responses, which minimises fine motor demands. Each subtest is built with careful consideration to the cognitive, motor, and language development of young children.
- Bug Search and Animal Coding are adaptations of WPPSI–IIIUK Symbol Search and Coding
- Cancellation is a more developmentally appropriate adaptation of the WISC–IVUK version
- Simplified and shortened directions for children
- Demonstration, sample and teaching items used whenever possible to ensure clarity of task demands
More Efficient Test Administration
Numerous updates make administration as efficient and user-friendly as possible.
- Testing time is maintained or reduced while construct coverage is increased.
- Clear and concise examiner instructions, including shortened discontinue criteria and simplified substitution, invalidation, and proration rules.
- Stimulus book contents distributed to maximise portability
- New and durable storage solutions for manipulatives, including puzzles.
- New look case
Improved Clinical Utility
The following updates increase the practical usefulness of the WPPSI–IVUK.
- Age range extended upward to 7 years 7 months
- Scoring approach expanded to include strengths and weaknesses analysis at the index level
- Reduced expressive language requirements
- Updated and new special group studies
- Updated validity studies with other measures including WPPSI–III, WISC®–IV, Bayley–III, selected NEPSY®–II subtests, and select BASC™–2 scales
Updated and Improved Psychometric Properties
- Updated UK normative sample standardised
- Improved subtest floors and ceilings
- Comparable or improved reliability for subtest and composite scores
Users & Applications
Clinical Psychologists, Educational Psychologists, and Neuropsychologists working in schools, clinics, hospitals, universities and forensics use the WPPSI–IVUK to help:
- Identify and qualify students with cognitive delays for special services
- Evaluate children for cognitive delays, learning difficulties, autism and giftedness
- Determine the impact of traumatic brain injury on cognitive functions in children
- Scoring Options
NEW. In addition to hand scoring, WPPSI–IVUK is now available on Q-global™, Pearson’s web-based scoring and reporting platform.
- 24/7 secure, web-based access
- Portability: Q-global can be used on mobile devices such as a laptop or tablet
- On-demand, reliable scoring and comprehensive reporting solutions
- Pricing on a per-report basis
WPPSI–IV Score Reports
- Automatically converts total raw scores to subtest scaled scores
- Automatically converts sums of scaled scores to composites scores, including the FSIQ and numerous index scores
- Provides strengths and weakness analysis at the index and subtest levels
- Performs score comparisons at the index and subtest levels
- Generates score reports with tables and graphs
WPPSI-IV Interpretive Report
The Interpretive Report includes full scoring information with narrative interpretation of scores, including:
- Narrative summary of the child's background, history, and test behaviours;
- Interpretation of the Full Scale IQ and all primary and ancillary index scores
- Integration of the reason for referral in test score interpretation
- Recommendations based on WPPSI-IV performance
- Optional Parent Report
Visit our Q-global site to find out more.
Need more information? Try the Pearson Information Assistant.
The Pearson Information Assistant (PIA) provides detailed information, including videos, online presentations, FAQs and webinars on some of our key products.
Visit the Pearson Information Assistant >