Press Release: Shine a Light Awards 2017 launch
The Communication Trust and Pearson have joined forces to launch the fifth Shine a Light Awards. The Awards seek to recognise the incredible contributions of teams, settings and individuals across England who support children and young people’s speech, language and communication.
Download a pdf version of this press release
The flagship Shine a Light Awards will return by popular demand in 2017 with a range of award categories. This includes a brand new award for SEN School or Group of the Year highlighting the exceptional work carried out in SEND schools and colleges across the country.
The Shine a Light Awards will feature the following categories:
- Early Years Setting of the Year Award
- Primary School of the Year Award
- Secondary School or College of the Year Award
- The Communication Commitment School of the Year Award
- SEN School or Group of the Year Award **NEW CATEGORY FOR 2017**
- Young Person of the Year Award
- SLCN Innovation Award
- Communication Champion Award
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication Award
- Pearson Outstanding Achievement Award
Octavia Holland, Director of The Communication Trust, said: “All children and young people deserve the opportunity to develop good speech, language and communication skills so they can thrive and make friends. The Shine a Light Awards gives individuals, teams, settings and young people a unique opportunity to shout about their achievements and for this best practice to be recognised across the sector.
Time to shine
“Last year’s applications were outstanding. The Shine a Light Awards shows how lives can be enriched with dedication and commitment, particularly for the one million children and young people with long-term speech, language and communication needs. If it is your time to shine, we look forward to receiving your application.”
Chris Hall, Director of Clinical Assessment at Pearson, said: “The continued popularity of the Shine a Light Awards proves how much is being achieved across the country to support young people with speech, language and communication, and this work is too often unrecognised. It is an honour to be part of these exceptional awards and it is so important to share and celebrate these achievements so that we can continue to innovate and raise awareness of best practice.”
98 teams and individuals celebrated
The Shine a Light Awards have grown in popularity since their launch during the National Year of Communication in 2011. To date, the awards have celebrated the work of over 98 teams and a wide range of individuals, including young people with severe and complex speech, language and SLCN.
The awards website is now open for applications and further details on how to apply can be found at www.shinealightawards.co.uk. Applications close at 11:59 pm on the 12th January 2017.
The Shine a Light Awards Ceremony will take place with a secret celebrity host on 23rd March 2017 in London.
For further Information
For more information, or to arrange interviews, please contact Laura Smith and Lisa Church at Consilium Communications by contacting email@example.com / 07467 945661 or firstname.lastname@example.org / 07467 945848.
Notes to editors
About the Shine a Light Awards
- The Shine a Light Awards are sponsored and organised by Pearson in partnership with The Communication Trust, a coalition of over 50 organisations dedicated to supporting children and young people's speech, language and communication.
- The Awards are designed to promote and celebrate good practice in speech, language and communication for individuals, groups and settings that work with children and young people, particularly those with SLCN.
- The awards form part of the legacy of the National Year of Communication (Hello campaign) and have become a key event in the speech, language and communication community’s calendar.
- The award categories are Early Years Setting of the Year Award, Primary School of the Year Award, Secondary School or College of the Year Award, The Communication Commitment School of the Year Award, SEN School or College of the Year Award, Young Person of the Year Award, SLCN Innovation Award, Communication Champion Award, Augmentative and Alternative Communication Award and the Pearson Outstanding Achievement Award
- Applications are now open. Applications will close at 11.59pm on 12th January 2017. The Shine a Light Awards ceremony will be held on 23rd March 2017.
- For further information, visit the Shine a Light Awards minisite.
- Pearson is the world's leading learning company, with 40,000 employees in more than 70 countries working to help people of all ages to make measurable progress in their lives through learning.
- Pearson is the world’s largest commercial developer and distributor of educational assessments and psychological testing materials with over 90 years history of commitment to researching and developing products to a reliable high standard.
- Pearson is dedicated to the pursuit of professional excellence, leadership, and growth through acquisition, development, publication, and the maintenance of quality assessment tools in order to anticipate and meetthe needs of its customers. Pearson have sponsored the Shine a Light Awards since their launch in 2011, as part of the Hello campaign (National Year of Communication).
- For more information, visit the Pearson Clinical website or follow @PsychCorpUK #SAL2017
About The Communication Trust
- The Communication Trust is a coalition of over 50 leading voluntary sector organisations, which raises awareness, influences policy, promotes best practice among the children’s workforce and commissions work from its members.
- The Trust’s mission is to ensure that every child and young person is supported to communicate to the very best of their ability.
- The Trust works towards its mission by working in partnership to build, skills, knowledge and confidence in the children’s workforce, based on a foundation of good practice, robust evidence and effective policy and legislation.
- For more information about the Trust visit www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk or follow @Comm_nTrust
Date posted: September 8, 2016